Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Make-Out Madness

We are, after all, quite public spirited. So, after a deluge of mostly angsty and over analytical posts, I present to you, 'Make-out Madness'! Maybe it should be 'making-out' but it doesnt sound nearly as well.

I was thinking about the recent trip to Bombay, and one of the high points, as I looked back, was the Cheeni Kum experience. Nothing to do with the movie per-se, except that it happened to be playing at Sterling that day. So, there were two seats to my left, and it didn't seem like anyone would occupy them, so I dumped stuff there. That had to be removed when a rather bulky gent and his diminutive date wriggled past. Not five minutes after they had settled in, I was disturbed by strange sounds... she wore a particularly rustly shirt, you see. Sounded like a stiff breeze through a pile of leaves. And I suppose these things make more noise when you're trying to be quiet about it! Anyhow, I divided most of the time of the first half between ignoring the various noises from the left, being diverted every so often to watch with great fascination, the two of them trying to make out while trying to be still as mice and quiet as leaves(and the uncomfortable glances that greeted my innocent fascination proves that they were unsporting!) , and in between, I even managed to watch the movie and laugh at the right parts! Sadly, post interval, they shifted seats, lower down... I still had a great view of them, but they didn't know. And without the insistent rustle I lost interest soon enough.

Making-Out at the movies, of course, is as old as movie halls. I first realised this fact while watching Grease.. the scene at the drive-in, remember? Strangely, however, the only other time I ever saw people at it in the movie hall was when we had gone to watch Zinda. Anyone who's seen that one will remember that it was rather gruesome in bits.. largeish bits. So I was rather surprised to note that this couple sitting right behind us had managed to block out even the most awful of the movies noises in their pursuit of passion.

One of my friends kindly shared some inside info with me(poor, under-educated me!)... So, I found out that even the Chronicles of Narnia make a rather charming background accompaniment once in a while.

In our many, many discussions on the subject, we have come up with many, many definitions for this term. The best and brightest will always be the hugging and holding hands version. Of course, while we were in school, one did hear of these horror stories, where two kids were caught in the act, poor things, cause their braces got locked together!! But all that clandestine activity in the school greenhouse seems miles away now.

The most recent education I got on the subject was from one of my dearest friends, who went no further than preliminary making-out, cause in the process .. well, she fell off the bed!

2 comments:

The New Age Superhero said...

hehe.. i wud like 2 contribute but u know y i cant :P

ninkita said...

you disappoint me strangely! :P
come on.. life's such a PICNIC...tell us na!!