Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Nani

On Saturday, my nani left her body. It was a strange feeling, standing in the ICU, watching the doctors trying to revive her body. It was peaceful to sit with her body and tell her one last time how much she meant to us. It was impossible to talk to anyone at that time, though. It was extremely disorienting to leave my nani's side and find such a large number of people assembled at the hospital within the hour. It was bewildering to have so many different versions of what we could and could not do over the next few days. It was distressing to have to accept that mom and masi wouldn't be able to see nani one last time before the cremation. It was infuriating that someone who didn't care two hoots about nani should get to bathe her and help dress her the next day, when the people who did so much for her while she was alive, out of love, weren't able to.

But whatever I felt over the last few days, I didn't find my eyes filling with tears everytime the many, many people who visited spoke about her, or about the things she'd done, or the wonderful person she was. I didn't feel particularly emotional even when they kept remembering how she used to name me as her daughter even when she'd forgotten the names of her own children. When we discuss the many aspects that made nani what she was, it makes me happy, and gives a warm feeling inside, not a feeling of loss.

When people call up or visit, and remembering her, start recounting stories of what she'd done for them years ago, or how she'd fed them, or taken care of them, I remember her as she was, some ten years ago.. vibrant, caring, enthusiastic, she loved gardening, she'd just learnt how to drive, she let us experiment in her kitchen, listened to our stories, she was just the most perfect grandmother anyone could ever have asked for!

But that was not the nani that we'd been taking care of, for the last two or three years. Ever since she was diagnosed with cancer, she had slowly, almost imperceptibly lost that verve and individuality, gradually turning inwards, and by the time chemo and radiotherapy killed the cancer, her body was ravaged and the pain she had to endure wrought lasting changes. By the time we realised that all was not well, she was in a bad state.

Alzheimer's disease had robbed her of most of her memories, and she was desperately afraid and distrustful. In this darkness, she still recognised us as somehow related to her, though she didn't quite know how.. and now she lost interest in most things that had earlier defined her. Her famed hospitality and warmth were replaced by suspicion and a childlike fear. The early days, when she couldn't find her way to the bathroom at night, and would sit and cry like a baby, the hallucinations, the increased aggression later, when almost the only coherent thought that she had was that she had to go home, to her father and the family of her youth, the pain that she had to endure throughout, as her body too began to give up.. these are the things that defined her last years.

But what I remember most clearly of my nani is the love I felt for her, the tenderness, the feeling that made me want to just put my head in her lap and feel her stroking my hair, the satisfaction on her face when we'd talk and instead of trying to make her realise that she was rambling, I'd answer in ways that she could still comprehend, the way she would smile when I'd go over to visit her, the way she'd still put on her spectacles and read with intense concentration the same line over and over again.

Most people are now grieving for the nani of some eight or ten years ago. But the last few years she had changed into nani the baby, who had nonetheless to live with a lot of physical and mental pain. I can't grieve, because she's finally free of the pain, she is finally through with this extremely difficult life, and I can't grieve, because I saw her at the last, looking as though peacefully asleep. Arjun, though so young, put it so well when he told masi not to feel too sad, because nani had, afterall, become an angel now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I relived the pain once again just now. The same pain I felt that day suddenly when this news dawned upon me! The pain of someone very close in deeper pain....of the pain that your mom and masi were going through as they couldn't be around at just the time she bid everyone her final goodbye...!! The pain you, dada, Nanu were going through...of seeing her go off to sleep eternally! I felt the pain babi went through...remembering her friend and the pain she felt for herself...thinking how everyone's time nears!! Her trembling voice, her anxiety.....

Well! Nani.....was just Nani to me! I don't ever remember anyone else I called that...not even my own granny!! She was just Nani...the one who made yummy food, the one who was like a tomboy...the one who crashed the car a couple of times and then talked herself out of the trouble...and was still able to smile about it! Her smile.....the same smile you have on your patient face, the same smile your Mom has....in her loving, caring demeanour!

Although I never had the opportunity to be near her or talk to her so much, but I do remember having met her during her Alzheimer's phase.....when she mumbled...."Sorry, I couldn't come to your wedding!!" And I kept telling her...."No problem nani...you were busy at that time.."

After that conversation...I only heard of her from you...at times when you said it, on most other times when you didn't! Your leaving dinner suddenly and running to attend to her.....like a mother would do for her children!!

Arjun is so right....she became an angel yes....because she was an angel....I felt the warmth from a distance of her love, of her affection.

And reading what you've written, I am forced to think of destiny....why was it that God made those who didnt care for her come and do the last rites...why!! As I think, Nani smiles at me and whispers...."well, they are mine too...they forgot me when I was in need...but they needed to be given one last opportunity to do something for me."

And why did Masi and Mom not get an opportunity to even see you while you went, I ask. To this she heaves a little and then smiles. And says, "Because silly, I never want to say goodbye to them...as they will always be here in my heart and I will always live in their hearts."

And how then did you have the courage to say bye to nanu, dada and nee?? She says, "well, that is because Nee and Dada, I really couldnt not see....they are my little babies....it was difficult to say bye yes, but my greedy lil heart just wanted to see them before I went. As for Nanu, he was my life partner, when the life was ending, I did have to bid farewell to him in a slight formality....it was my desire to leave this world before him...and I was happy to do so....But then, I felt pained to see that I had left his side when he needed me...! And then I looked at you Nee and you Dada....and could sleep peacefully because I saw you didn't leave his side....!! God bless you my children...Don't ever be sad because I am watching you always"

And then she turned into an angel...and flew on her divine journey Nee!!

The New Age Superhero said...

u know it was so nice that u were actually able 2 express ur love to ur nani while she was there... u took care of her and u did everything cz u loved her.. i remember hw much i had disliked my grandpa whn he was there and i barely helped him when he really needed it cz of this dislike.. i wasnt mean really but i wasnt of much help either.. only when he was gone that all the misunderstandings were cleared out and today when i want to say sorry 2 him and i want to tell him tht i really shud hav helped u in every possible way and i really shud hav done all i cud 2 make ur last 2 yrs jst a little better and peaceful its of no use.. its a guilt i will hav 2 bear for the rest of my life.. its a burden and a punishment and i deserve it.. well.. he certainly must've forgiven me.. in fact he must've never even thot i was ever wrong in anyway.. but i know my actions

but apart from this i cud relate to u when u said u were happy to see ur nani finally sleepin in peace.. here i want to confess that in those last seconds of my grandpa's life when he was again facing his breathing attack.. i really prayed to god to release him of this pain for good cz i was unable to see him suffer and also my granny face him in that state. i remember thankin god when doc made the declaration.. mebbe i was wrong but that was one moment in that entire wretched phase of my life that i had acted selflessly and i had actually prayed for him - my grandpa. mebbe i did love him even then but i had never realised.

you - you did all u can and more.. ur granny was blessed 2 hav a grand-daughter like u.. really.. i dunno wat 2 say.. jst tht am sure shez proud of u.. u tc alrt.. love ya loads.. hugs

Anonymous said...

to see someone feel so much for his/her grandparents is a rare sight and even if people do,they find it hard to express ,but u did!
your nani was lucky to have a grandchild like you.